Volunteering at TheatreWorks is a great way to become involved with the New Milford Arts Community, get some hands-on experience in theatre, or just hang out with a great group of people.
If you have any special skills such as construction, marketing, public relations, or database management, let us know! Email Volunteer Director Jill Pace or call 860-350-6863.
Listed below are our volunteer needs and a brief description of the duties involved. If you are interested in spending some time with us, just click on the link below and it will lead you to our volunteer registration form.
We're looking for volunteers in many areas:
Set Design and Construction
This work requires physical activity, willingness to get down and dirty, but also a chance to learn about creating a set, set design, and other technical skills. Hours vary, and increase in the two weeks before a show opens. Volunteers generally report to the Production Manager.
- Set construction including carpentry and painting. Volunteers report to the Set Designer and respond to his or her particular needs.
- Various artistic projects as the set demands.
- Assisting the Set Designer with the implementation of the set and the design.
- Loading in and out construction materials, tools.
This work requires greeting patrons with a smile, validating tickets. The Usher(s) report to the House Manager. Expected to arrive about 60 minutes prior to performance.
- Assist front of house staff in cleaning the theatre and preparing the front of house for the public.
- Distributing programs.
- Collecting ticket stubs and greeting theatre-goers.
- Helping audience members find their seats.
- Assisting patrons with any immediate needs (e.g., directions to the bathroom.)
- Communicate with the Stage Manager to help determine when to open house and start show.
This position requires a commitment to at least 4 performances for the run of the production. TheatreWorks productions generally run Thursday-Saturday evenings with a Sunday matinee performance, typically for four weeks (11-13 performances). Great for an outgoing personality interested in theatre management or even stage management. Reports to Volunteer Coordinator.
- Overseeing and supervising the volunteer ushers, assigning tasks and responding to volunteer needs.
- Acting as a liaison between the Stage Manger and the Box Office Manager in order to communicate front of house needs and box office needs.
- Keeping a close watch on the house count and assisting any patrons who have special needs prior to or during the performance.
- Working with the Box Office and Concession stand to coordinate concession sales and assist if necessary.
- Maintaining the cleanliness and safety of the front of house.
- It helps to be flexible and have a really good sense of humor.
This is a great volunteer opportunity for someone interested in theatre, as well as sales or customer service. The Box Office volunteer is required to learn the Vendini software and process ticket transactions, and also resolve issues surrounding ticket sales. Expected to arrive at the theatre 90 minutes before curtain. Reports to the House Manager.
- Greeting patrons, distributing advance sale tickets and running sales transactions using the Vendini software. Box Office Volunteers must know how to run credit cards, handle cash transactions, and work with Ushers to account for patrons and report to the House Manager.
This work involves use of a car, minimal physical activity, but an active mind. Hours vary and can be flexible. Some work can be done at home. Volunteers report to the Marketing Coordinator.
- Assist with all production-related mailings and production-related materials (i.e. postcards, school mailings, press releases.)
- Assist with the distribution of marketing materials, including postering neighborhoods, theatres, coffee shops, etc.
- Brainstorming better ways to reach out to and expand the TheatreWorks base.
- Outreach to certain communities to help "sell" the current production.
- Help secure and then track all press related to the production.
Great for someone with previous office experience. Hours are flexible.
- Extensive database work (help with updating mailing list, cleaning up existing categories, entering any mass addresses, etc.)
- Assist with volunteer phoning and other calls that need to be made.
- Make copies of scripts for readings.
- Help with preparing bulk mailings.
- Assist with Playbill ad sales.